Currently Playing

SID (6581/8580)Primary Star by flag Reyn Ouwehand
Requested By: flagnoglin

Time Left: 3:27

- Streams

Important Links

Discord Chat
Matrix Chat (bridged to Discord)

Please report any bugs to this forum thread!
> Bug Reporting Thread <
Song, artist, etc. corrections go here instead:
> Correct DB Info <
Broken tunes can be reported here:
> Report Broken Tunes Here <

Nectarine

General » Why do tunes by Space get approved?

Pages: 1
Author Thread
flagAccidental
Unplayed Requester™

79 Posts
#1637 (2 years, 8 months ago)
I am sorry, but none of this is any good: flag Space (Christian Fladung)

Why do uploads by an artist with such consistently low ratings get approved?
flagnyingen

318 Posts
#1638 (2 years, 8 months ago)
This artist seems to be affiliated with Nectarine, so staff probably approved the tunes on that basis, years ago. Any recent uploads were probably approved reflexively because the artist already had a lot of tunes in the database. It's a slippery slope. Did you know that, the last time some Cyborg Jeff tunes were uploaded, we were under fire for approving them, because "we already have so many of CJ tunes here, why do we need more?!" and we were also under fire for NOT approving them, because "we already have so many of his tunes, so why can't we have more?!" (In the end, we did not approve them.)

What would you like done here? Reject all? Reject some? Leave it active? I'm sure I will get a nasty comment or PM from someone, in any case.
flagAccidental
Unplayed Requester™

79 Posts
#1640 (2 years, 8 months ago)
I personally would do this, but it is not my decision:
1. Set everything below a 2.5 rating to Inactive. These tunes were played, people heard them and rated them as not particularly enjoyable.
2. Check new uploads by the same artist a bit more closely before approval. Reject if necessary.
flagMystra

72 Posts
#1641 (2 years, 8 months ago)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't self-uploads automatically approved?
flagStarchaser
Laser cutter enthusiast

119 Posts
#1643 (2 years, 8 months ago)
No, I believe they go into the same approval queue as everyone else's songs.
flagnyingen

318 Posts
#1647 (2 years, 8 months ago)
accidental said: "1. Set everything below a 2.5 rating to Inactive. These tunes were played, people heard them and rated them as not particularly enjoyable. "

Not a bad idea, though I'd personally go for less than 2.0, as upwards of 2.0 tends to indicate that at least some people liked it. On the other hand, there are a lot of these. I did not realise how many tunes Space had on here until you pointed this out.

accidental said: " 2. Check new uploads by the same artist a bit more closely before approval. Reject if necessary. "

Unfortunately this is not really possible. Sure, we listen to the tunes before approving, but how is a staff member meant to accept or reject on subjective qualities? Mostly we pre-listen to the tracks to ensure they're not glitchy, trollish, don't have leading or trailing silence, and aren't totally unacceptable from an audio waveform standpoint. If there's scene-relevance, and the audio is not "buggy", we generally accept the tune and then let the votes decide.

I know I keep saying this, but a new locking algorithm is being put in very soon (hopefully, like, tomorrow) which will increase the lock time for poorly-rated tunes, and that may help with some of the problem with crummy-yet-scene-related tunes.

Also, thank you very much, Accidental, for opening a forum post about this and getting a discussion going.
flagAccidental
Unplayed Requester™

79 Posts
#1648 (2 years, 8 months ago)
Setting all Space tunes with a rating of less than 2.0 to Inactive would also be fine for me. Increased lock times for poorly rated tunes sounds swell.

Not looking forward to having to listen to more 1.x quality uploads by Space though. But I guess that can't be helped.
flagAccidental
Unplayed Requester™

79 Posts
#1676 (2 years, 7 months ago)
Feel free to remove my comments on #KimDotCom - Dance Hall Edition. I was so sick and tired of having to listen to his tunes for years, while at the same time he keeps uploading "remixes" of the same tunes... I just got so frustrated.
flagMystra

72 Posts
#1677 (2 years, 7 months ago)
Again, I do think self-uploads are automatically approved. I'm pretty sure I've seen that happen.
flagMystra

72 Posts
#1678 (2 years, 7 months ago)
I think we just witnessed another auto-approve, as KangarooMusique uploaded 3 of his own tunes, of which two have the exact same name. All three were approved right away. I can't imagine any staff would do that so quickly, and without figuring out why the names were the same.
flagAccidental
Unplayed Requester™

79 Posts
#1688 (2 years, 6 months ago)
There were also some previously unused and/or misspelled tags in these uploads. I've cleaned that up in one or two instances.
Pages: 1

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.