User Menu

Notification settings

Currently Playing

PSG AY-3-891x/YM2149 (CPC, ST, ZX)Satisfaction Megademo - Part 5 (Keep On Music) Have video by flag Klav (Konstantin Leshchenko)
Requested By: djrandom
Pouet Icon Icon Icon

Time Left: 4:11

- Streams

Important Links

Discord Chat
Matrix Chat (bridged to Discord)

Please report any bugs to this forum thread!
> Bug Reporting Thread <
Song, artist, etc. corrections go here instead:
> Correct DB Info <
Broken tunes can be reported here:
> Report Broken Tunes Here <

Nectarine

Site Development » source code repo

Pages: 1
Author Thread
flagMindiell
Mindiell

36 Posts
#1869 (1 year, 8 months ago)
Hey there, Can someone point out the repo where the actual demovibes website source code is ?

I would like to help on dev.
Thx,
flagnyingen

320 Posts
#1870 (1 year, 8 months ago)
Hi Mindiell, thanks for the kind offer, but the website source code is not really being published at this time. If you're interested in how DV works generally, you can look at the repo on github. We're mostly using this code, with some modifications over the last few years (bug fixes, a few small added features).

Necta is basically in maintenance mode now. We're not looking to make any major changes, because the code runs on very old library versions that are difficult to upgrade or replace. Existing bugs like the infamous "Currently Playing" bug have been pretty deeply investigated and traced to problems with old library versions, not the Necta code itself. The same goes for the problematic "search" function. At this point, it makes much more sense to spend our limited time and energy to rewrite the site with modern technology, rather than grope in the bowels of ancient versions of event-handling libraries.

STS-136 at one point had a rewrite going that would be using modern versions of Django etc, and I believe it was up on github too, so perhaps you could contact him if you were interested in assisting with that work. I have a different rewrite going that is not quite ready to receive contributions from others, and unfortunately has stalled a bit as I got much busier at my job. I hope to get it going again once I have a bit of time off, though, and will put it up on github once it is doing anything useful.
flagMindiell
Mindiell

36 Posts
#1873 (1 year, 8 months ago)
Thx very much for your answer nyginen !

Since I got nothing apart the old "official" wesite, I started doing my fork of it, using Flask to replace Django (more used to it). Everything is public and everyone can contribute to it : https://framagit.org/demovibes/website

I started to read/analyze code in order to be able to redesign everything properly : https://framagit.org/demovibes/website/-/issues/1

Don't know if I can use AGPLv3+ instead of GPLv2 which seems too old for a modern project too.
flagmirrorbird
symptomless coma

383 Posts
#1875 (1 year, 8 months ago)
I managed to steal zero-day Necta source codez

10 PRINT "hyperbase"
20 GOTO 10
flagMindiell
Mindiell

36 Posts
#1878 (1 year, 8 months ago)
Finally, and after some more thoughs, I ended up to create a completely new thing : https://framagit.org/clementine-radio/clementine

It will clearly be usable by nectarine but will not take its features blindly in account. I wanted something new and being able to improve it.
Therefore, maybe it will be the next step to modernity or it won't !
flagfranz_opa
Steadily at the low level

74 Posts
#1879 (1 year, 8 months ago)
Quote: "I ended up to create a completely new thing"

Hopefully you know how to avoid getting stuck with rotten libraries
flagMindiell
Mindiell

36 Posts
#1880 (1 year, 8 months ago)
Eh eh eh, that's plus the fact that repo is too !
flagmirrorbird
symptomless coma

383 Posts
#1881 (1 year, 8 months ago)
I love how the whole idea of "yeah everyone is making their own fix"
is somehow a way to generate more and more versions
nobody can wait
mine is called HAZELNUT
flagMindiell
Mindiell

36 Posts
#1882 (1 year, 8 months ago)
Quote: "I have a different rewrite going that is not quite ready to receive contributions from others, and unfortunately has stalled a bit as I got much busier at my job."

Finally, after some more investigations, thinking and few other things, I decided I will try to wait for nyingen's repo to be published to help him. I know this seems quite a lot of changes, but I like to test and think a lot before going somewhere (plus mirrorbird is completely right, it's not very interesting to multiply selfish solutions and certainly better to work on the same one).

Nyingen, I would love to see what you've done and will be glad to help you ;o)

flagmirrorbird
symptomless coma

383 Posts
#1925 (1 year, 6 months ago)
Mindiell c'est noble.
I will help too... if I can... some day. I can code some (well it's my day job), and draw a little. Everybody can code and draw better than me, but if I do it and they don't, then that's moot isn't it? c'est stérile.
So that's my threat. You do it, or mirrorbird will.
I'm not above writing a whole Nectarine in PHP just to spite you all.

P.S. nyingen, this thread is the only place where you have (quasi-) officially stated that "Necta is basically in maintenance mode now" -- but it's a topic that is often raised on the oneliner. Think on.
flagMindiell
Mindiell

36 Posts
#1929 (1 year, 6 months ago)
Hey mirrorbird, from what I understand, (I'm not a native speaker) you say that, as nyigen is "too slow to share its own code", we should go forward and don't wait until end of world and create a fork of nectarine actual website ?
flagmirrorbird
symptomless coma

383 Posts
#1930 (1 year, 6 months ago)
Don't take drunk mirrorbird seriously. But, since you ask:
I believe the main block to "rewriting Nectarine" is not skill, or expertise, but the fact that everybody has got time to start the project, and nobody has got time to finish it.
An annoying problem is that I *know* there are at least two unfinished "Necta remakes" out there...
Perhaps open-source has a solution, eh.
flagMindiell
Mindiell

36 Posts
#1931 (1 year, 6 months ago)
Ok, thanks!

For sure, I would have released my "version" under AGPLv3+ licence because it's the best approach to have such a website live longer in my opinion.

I've some time to spend on specific project, so I'll be glad to help on the nyingen repo if only he would open it to everyone. But I understand that writing such a piece of code is too much work for one person only.
Pages: 1

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.