User Menu

Notification settings

Currently Playing

PC (other)24h Bedroom by flag Bliss (Henrik José)
Requested By: flagMMX

Time Left: 3:48

- Streams

Important Links

Discord Chat
Matrix Chat (bridged to Discord)

Please report any bugs to this forum thread!
> Bug Reporting Thread <
Song, artist, etc. corrections go here instead:
> Correct DB Info <
Broken tunes can be reported here:
> Report Broken Tunes Here <

Nectarine

General » Jingles: time for a review?

Pages: 1
Author Thread
flagSir_Garbagetruck
I the not fire am on.

5 Posts
#1199 (3 years, 11 months ago)
Short version:
Maybe it's time to review the jingles and 'freshen up' the selection for a while.

We have lots of jingles, some of which have been part of Nectarine for over 20 years. (Yes, I've listened for over 20 years, and some were here when I first started: Skorpik's, "This is Netpoet of Park and 242 / next up:your favorite music," "this is [muffled] of [something]dot com" (which we would try to figure out back in the day...)

A bit later, some of the regulars submitted some jingles (Beat's jingle, Punqtured's...) and these, in my mind, are classics... but maybe time for some new classics to be put forth?

Some of the jingles may... well, some I feel are too negative for the site. We should be promoting scenemusic with the jingles, not... putting down a particular type of music or suggesting that some particular part of the scene is less worthy of praise than another. Sure, we all have songs we like and dislike, but this is about _all_ scene music.

(If you want to know about attempts back in the day to 'filter' and the outcome: Truck has a long story about that. Ok, maybe just a "medium length" Truck story, but you know, Truck doesn't do short stories.)

I also understand there are a number of jingles that currently aren't in rotation.

And, maybe some folks would like to submit a new jingle (or a jingle compo!)

Maybe... it's time to review the jingles, have folks say "yeah, this one is a bit negative" or "yeah, this one is really cool, why is it disabled?" and then, every 6 months or so, maybe just review again. And have new jingles put in by folks listening. (Maybe someone could promote the AY or YM stuff for once... )

(for the record: 'another f*ng hyperbase remix' and 'WE HATE ROB HUBBARD, ESPECIALLY KNUCKLEBUSTERS' make me want to stop listening to the stream whenever they come up. And the one about "chiptunes everywhere!" is funny, but may also be too negative.
I'd love for those jingles to be ... more positive, to reflect everything _positive_ about Nectarine. Cuz this is a great scene radio station, which ... honestly, nothings gonna kill it off (: It's been tried more than once (: )

(Also, I only realized we have a forum _NOW_ because I am blind.)
flagSir_Garbagetruck
I the not fire am on.

5 Posts
#1200 (3 years, 11 months ago)
"we hate rob hubbard" is not actually what the jingle says, but it's what my brain turns the words into. It doesn't go that far. But my brain turns it into "DESTROY ALL HUBBARD" because my brain likes to take things too far.

Of the jingles, that's my LEAST favorite. The "another f*ng hyperbase remix" isn't nearly as negative. And it does reflect a thing that happens... I mean, back in the day, everyone and their aunt friend from church's dog 'bobski' had a cover of "Giana Sisters." It's a thing that happens. But... if I'm gonna be critical of one jingle, I probably need to be critical of them all...

(and I _still_ have no idea what that "ameringandotcom" jingle says (: )
flagmirrorbird
symptomless coma

383 Posts
#1201 (3 years, 11 months ago)
This thread was originally some oneliner talk. I think this is an interesting issue.

I would like to ignore all the "my opinion is important because I am older than you" stuff which is IMHO bullshit (as much as I appreciate Truck's scene DJing work) and just reduce it to the basic question "Are there jingles that are working against the radio?" So:

I personally really hate the (recent -- created in the past year?) BitArts jingle that says "chiptunes in my ears, they're bleeding" or something -- this is no criticism of BitArts who is an excellent musician -- but indeed it conveys that idea that lo-fi chippies suck and we are dumb for listening to them. OH MIRRORBIRD WHY ARE YOU SUCH A SNOWFLAKE? I'm not offended or hurt by it, I just feel it's inappropriate on a radio that is probably about 30% chippies.

Then there's that "another fuckin' Hyperbase remix" which I think is really funny, but also is basically predicated on attacking something. (I don't even hate the original song, it's just famously long, like the film "Gone with the Wind", and it's become a humorous cliché.)

Related: what makes us accept a jingle? Well nobody is going to make a jingle for Nectarine unless they already hang around here, AND it's probably a bit cruel to reject it unless it's really bad (I'm thinking of silok's recent alien jingle which was cool but the original was about a minute long, so we had to ask him to shorten it)...

Just some thoughts. Would like to hear more.
flagmirrorbird
symptomless coma

383 Posts
#1202 (3 years, 11 months ago)
P.S. While going through the Missing songs and generally digging through Necta guts, I have removed (= set status to "Moved") a number of old game tunes. I know Truck will think I'm a random kid who never saw a demo or whatever. It's not true. I have specifically NOT changed status of any game tune that was on even 1 person's favourites list. If it had 0 faves and was from a game, it can go, because we aren't CVGM.

I mention this lest we decide that Rob Hubbard is some kind of Christ-like figure, lol.
flagserpent

55 Posts
#1203 (3 years, 11 months ago)
At least those that advertise wrong site name or url could be taken away IMO. New ones are always welcome... the more clever the better.

Being a 5-star voter of Knucklebusters i *personally* have no probs with the jingle, think it's quite funny, same with Hyperbased one, which is also true

Americandogcum is by the way Merregnon dot com
flagth4t1guy

12 Posts
#1204 (3 years, 11 months ago)
I think the main point of the joke in the Knucklebusters jingle is not that it's necessarily a good or bad song, just that it's tricking you into preparing for a 14-minute listening investment. The controversial voting drives the punchline a little more.
Long songs are more rare on normal radio, and for this site which is mainly request driven, long songs sometimes represent stream hijacking.

Full disclosure: I think Knucklebusters is a horrible tune.
flagvelusip
All I ever wanted was some Sunshine.

89 Posts
#1205 (3 years, 11 months ago)
I'd love to see more jingles submitted! *crickets* This discussion gets into the weeds.

I agree with Sir_Garbagetruck about the knucklebusters trick jingle. I get it's trying to be cute, but it jabs at some longstanding problems with necta and doesn't really match the fun or quality of other jingles. The hyperbase one is a bit less jarring. The way I interpret the knucklebusters troll is as a jab at polarizingtunes, gametunes, and longtunes which are slowly being addressed. As much as I would like to leave it as a protest until the problems are addressed (lol), I don't like it enough and would happily lock it with enough approval from fellow nectas.

I think the issues themselves can be helped with a bit of good old radio editing. I wrote about a good possible solution a while back, but haven't posted it yet. I'll go post it now.
flagnyingen

320 Posts
#1207 (3 years, 11 months ago)
Shall we have another jingle compo then? I'm all for more and fresher jingles. I think it's even fine to "remix" some of the current jingles, to freshen up the sound. That is to say, your compo entry doesn't need to push the edges of the jingle envelope...revisiting old territory would be perfectly ok.

Most jingles are a mashup of scenemusic snippets, sound effects, and a voiceover, so don't be shy. Even if you've never submitted anything to Necta in your life, you could still make one.
flagarrakis
Amiga&C64 rulez

282 Posts
#1270 (3 years, 10 months ago)
Sure !
flagarrakis
Amiga&C64 rulez

282 Posts
#1271 (3 years, 10 months ago)
IMO, Knuckelbusters is funny cos it take rear stream. Just to encense is naïve. We need surely and sceners are able to like it, more humor even black one to entertain. This jingle is original, funny, provocative and therefore keep attention.
Jingles just telling how NECTA is wonderful are to be heard but not only !

Maybe a jingle with NECTA "I love you" from the well known sample could be fun.
flagarrakis
Amiga&C64 rulez

282 Posts
#1274 (3 years, 10 months ago)
Yes but frm a female used in an early amiga game...Yzi : issa jingle to create !
flagAccidental
Unplayed Requester™

79 Posts
#1315 (3 years, 8 months ago)
"Oh no! It's chiptunes everywhere. Help! I need help!" is the best new jingle in recent years imho. It never fails to amuse me. I interpret it as a lighthearted jab at people who don't like chiptunes, i. e. people who don't listen to Nectarine.
flagHideawayStudio

2 Posts
#1356 (3 years, 7 months ago)
Please please don't kill the Knucklebusters joke jingle... I love that one! -much that I have huge respect for Rob my heart sinks every time that infamous SID hits the playlist... it is Soooo long!....

I also love the Do you Like the Wild Style? jingle - to this day that sounds like the late Phil Hartman to me... what a voice that guy had!!

The other one I really like is "I always knew when I was drunk!" which is a very famous quote by the late Charles Bukowski who was a notorious alcoholic poet.

Dani.
flagNosferatu
What is your function in life?

10 Posts
#1366 (3 years, 7 months ago)
I manage my rage by requesting any available Knucklebusters remix when the troll jingle plays. And yeah, I parse it as a fuck off to anyone who enjoys the original.
Pages: 1

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.