User Menu

Notification settings

Currently Playing

PC-RenoiseSaturday Afternoon by flag Codec (Andreas Hedman)
Requested By: flagAccidental
Icon

Time Left: 3:29

- Streams

Important Links

Discord Chat
Matrix Chat (bridged to Discord)

Please report any bugs to this forum thread!
> Bug Reporting Thread <
Song, artist, etc. corrections go here instead:
> Correct DB Info <
Broken tunes can be reported here:
> Report Broken Tunes Here <

Nectarine

Site Development » New Feature: Random fav req button

Pages: 1 2 3
Author Thread
flagnyingen

320 Posts
#2040 (11 months, 1 week ago)
Hi all, we now have a button (underneath the now-playing song info) that lets you request a random tune from your favourites list.

• It won't work if you have fewer than 100 favs or so. (You will get a message if this is the case. Add more favs!)
  • It ignores songs on your list that are very long, longer than about 13 min.
  • It ignores lock times completely!
  • Obviously it cannot req tunes that are not active (rejected, missing, jingle, etc).

Why does it ignore lock times? Well, many users have favourites that overlap, plus, these are favourite tunes, so it's good to hear them more often, IMO. Many people have, for example, Elwood's great tunes as favourites. If we hear these frequently, what is the problem? Also, that means the button does not "use up" your favourites or anyone else's.

That means that if the button reqs a tune, you could request that same tune "by hand" again immediately and make it play twice in a row, but please do not do this just to mess with people. At least wait an hour or two.

Finally, some DB computations are obviously involved with this, more than with regular reqs, so it's possible it could time out when you press the button. If that happens, press F5 and try again I guess.

There are probably bugs, so report here if you find any problems. Thanks!

EDIT 3: A number of bugs have been fixed, as well as other improvements; see below. If you find a bug, or have some other issue with the button, please do report it here!
flagmirrorbird
symptomless coma

383 Posts
#2041 (11 months, 1 week ago)
I bet this feature idea was suggested by some real sexy beast!
Thanks I LOVE IT
flagRobot2037
pieru asiantuntija kätyri

2 Posts
#2042 (11 months, 1 week ago)
Nice feature, thanks!

I found a bug. Even though the 'Queue Random Fav' is grayed out after pressing, so it looks inactive, I'm still able to press it. So if I click fast, I'm able to request several songs at once.
flagAccidental
Unplayed Requester™

79 Posts
#2043 (11 months, 1 week ago)
I am delighted to see this useful new feature!
flagnyingen

320 Posts
#2044 (11 months, 1 week ago)
Thanks for that, Robot2037. I did not try that during testing. Probably some HTML property needs to be set differently; I will look into it.

I saw some people noting duplicate reqs. If this is a problem, I can add some code to make it not queue something that has been played in the last few hours.
flagMindiell
Mindiell

36 Posts
#2045 (11 months, 1 week ago)
I don't know if it's related, but "My Favourites" link is now broken. Sad Panda...
flagmirrorbird
symptomless coma

383 Posts
#2046 (11 months, 1 week ago)
I have found a bug. If you request a song using the new button, you can then go and request the song normally from its song profile page. I just did this with Crazy Comets (komet non-stop): it was currently playing and then I put it in the queue again. NON-STOP COMET ACTION!
flagfranz_opa
Steadily at the low level

74 Posts
#2047 (11 months, 1 week ago)
It can request songs made by a requester (makes self-requesting possible)
flagsilencer

5 Posts
#2048 (11 months, 1 week ago)
THIS IS AMAZINGG!!!!!!!!!!!
flagnyingen

320 Posts
#2049 (11 months, 1 week ago)
mirrorbird: Thanks, but that is not a bug; the button does not recalculate lock times. The idea is that if you press the button today and it reqs one of my favourite tunes, but I'm asleep, I can still req it off my own fav list manually tomorrow. I trust users not to deliberately queue the same tune twice in a row. However, I am going add some code to prevent the random button from queuing a tune that was played within the last few hours.

The bug involving making multiple reqs when you are the now-playing requester, but others are in the queue - I think I have a fix, but it's difficult for me to test it out. I'll try to sort it today; stay tuned.

franz_opa: Also not a bug; I felt that the anti-self-req check was obsolete and I left it out. Am I wrong?

Thanks for the reports and thanks for trying out the new feature!
flagplc

15 Posts
#2050 (11 months, 1 week ago)
Perhaps there should be some fav songs ignored such as those with lower ratings below lets say 3. I have such songs in the fav list especially for crap fridays,
flagfranz_opa
Steadily at the low level

74 Posts
#2052 (11 months, 1 week ago)
^
Problem with that suggestion is that the rating does not indicate whether the user sees a song as crap or not.
flagplc

15 Posts
#2053 (11 months, 1 week ago)
Yep that's the problem.
flagnyingen

320 Posts
#2054 (11 months, 1 week ago)
Ok, a check has been added to try to avoid randomly queuing any tune that was already played within the past few hours or so. It's hard to test anything involving RNG, so let me know if you still see dupes and I'll look at it again.

The "self-request check" is still omitted, because technically you're not req'ing your own tune if you're just pulling randomly from your favs. What I mean is, even if it happens to choose your own tune, you didn't deliberately request it. If you guys really think this is a problem, I can add that in.

The self-req check remains in the ordinary req code.
flagRobot2037
pieru asiantuntija kätyri

2 Posts
#2055 (11 months, 1 week ago)
Hello. I was able to request same tune twice within 24 hours period, by using Random Fav button. Is it a bug or feature?
It was this tune:
https://scenestream.net/demovibes/song/39610/queue_history/
Pages: 1 2 3

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.