User Menu

Notification settings

Currently Playing

WildSpellbound (Live) Have video by flag lft (Linus Åkesson)
Requested By: flagHaCKa
Icon

Time Left: 4:48

- Streams

Important Links

Discord Chat
Matrix Chat (bridged to Discord)

Please report any bugs to this forum thread!
> Bug Reporting Thread <
Song, artist, etc. corrections go here instead:
> Correct DB Info <
Broken tunes can be reported here:
> Report Broken Tunes Here <

Nectarine

Off-topic » Necta needs built-in BBS games!

Pages: 1
Author Thread
flagnyingen

320 Posts
#218 (5 years, 4 months ago)
Let's talk about our favourites from the modem era. I actually don't remember the name of the game I played most, but it was some sort of turn-based RPG in which the goal was to conquer other players' territories, by building armies, finding resources, etc. Perhaps that rings a bell for someone?
flagmirrorbird
symptomless coma

383 Posts
#333 (5 years, 3 months ago)
zoner likes LORD (Legend of the Red Dragon?), he's just too shy to say it here.

Unfortunately I didn't have a modem in pre-Web days so apart from a bit of messing around on telnet MUDs I don't have the experiences.
flagserpent

55 Posts
#336 (5 years, 3 months ago)
I played mostly Amiga Hack'n Slash, a bit LoRD. I remember playing Hack'n Slash in finnish Moonlight Sonata (or something) BBS and my character was called Gorgon.

EDIT: And a bit MUD too.
flagmirrorbird
symptomless coma

383 Posts
#337 (5 years, 3 months ago)
So as I just posted on the oneliner: I used to hang around a MUD based on Terry Pratchett's Discworld (it's a parody of the sword-and-dragon sort of fantasy genre -- I don't really like his books because they are a bit smug, but they are hugely popular, I think he was Britain's top-selling author). I never even tried to play the game properly. I would just hang around and watch what people were doing. The central "lobby" area was usually quite busy, with all the notices etc., and the rest of the game was mostly empty. Sometimes I'd find a room full of cool items and pick them up, and then not know what to do with them. Once a guy got upset because I picked up his stuff, in his cave. Idiot. I got scared and dropped it. I should have just run and maybe got magicked to death.

It was at discworld.imaginary.com and you'd connect through telnet and then type commands like a text adventure game.
flagnyingen

320 Posts
#373 (5 years, 3 months ago)
Maybe we need a Nectarine MOO.
flagHappyDude
Nostalgic BBS Sysop - v2.0

17 Posts
#1933 (1 year, 5 months ago)
Resurrecting this +3 year old post...

Happy to work with anyone wanting to actually implement a DOOR game server, as I run a vintage BBS already full of these doors and text adventures converted to run over telnet.
Pages: 1

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.