PC-XMDreamchip Megamix II by flag Floppi (Tero Laihanen)Deceased
Requested By: flagOldchap
Icon Icon Icon

Time Left: 30:04

- Streams

Important Links

Discord Chat
Matrix Chat (bridged to Discord)

Please report any bugs to this forum thread!
> Bug Reporting Thread <
Song, artist, etc. corrections go here instead:
> Correct DB Info <
Broken tunes can be reported here:
> Report Broken Tunes Here <

Nectarine

Site Development » Queue, Req, and Lock system megathread

Pages: 1
Author Thread
flagnyingen

317 Posts
#125 (5 years, 5 months ago)
Let's talk about what we like and don't like about the current system for making requests and calculating the lock times. The current system works ok IMO but there's always room for improvement or at least some experiments.

For myself, I've never liked the system of "if your req is playing and nothing is queued, you can queue 3 more". I mean it's fine if no one else wants to make reqs, but otherwise user A fills the queue, then user B wants to make reqs so he or she makes 1 req. When user B's req plays, if he or she doesn't queue something quickly, user A fills the queue again. This has been really aggravating for me in the past.

Lock times are a more complicated issue but by all means let's hear some ideas.
flagPhlubby_Gnome

29 Posts
#143 (5 years, 5 months ago)
Things used to be worse when anyone could make requests to fill the queue up to 3 songs unconditionally. Resulting in some wanting to own the queue (like now still then I suppose) and try to get multiple requests in there, instead of e.g. waiting for the requester of currently playing song to make a new request. Now one has at least the whole duration of their requested song to request a new song.

It seems fine for the situation where no else is requesting as you say, and restricting requests to only one in that case was not done because that can be seen as aggravating for a single requester as well.

Requesting window could be a bit wider in the situation of two requesters by enabling ping-pong. Allowing to have this as "Requested By" in the queue:

1. A
2. B
3. A

Once 1. starts playing then queue can become:

1. B
2. A
3. B

I think it was also referred to in the pull request of the short-queue changes, but all old PRs are gone.
flagonc
ONC

1 Posts
#683 (4 years, 9 months ago)
Why note INSERT new request when all the current requests are from the same person ?

If all requests come from the same person, then insert in 2nd position ; else, add at the end of the queue.

Example :

Queue is empty ; A add 3 requests
1. A
2. A
3. A

Now, B want to request a tune
1. A
2. B
3. A
4. A

Same with
1. A
2. A

become
1. A
2. B
3. A

and then
1. A
2. B
3. A
4. C

So we're still able to do multiple requests when queue is empty, but B don't have to wait until the end of the queue if it is from only 1 person.

What do you think about that ?
flagnyingen

317 Posts
#684 (4 years, 9 months ago)
I like onc's idea, and I think it's worth trying out at some point.

Another idea I had recently is to allow users to queue up to 2 non-consecutive tunes. djrandom gets too much floor time these days, and I think it's fun to experience others' choices. With the generally small number of people queueing tunes these days, I don't think that will result in long queues at all.
flagmirrorbird
symptomless coma

376 Posts
#686 (4 years, 9 months ago)
(At the risk of sounding like a crappy journalist trying to invent a new word: when people queue a bunch at once I think of it as "stacking", which might be a way to save some verbiage when discussing. So that's the word I will use.)

I do not know the original intent of the stacking rule but I think the positive aspect of it is that during really quiet times you can actually stack a few tunes of interest while you are doing whatever else you are doing (reading, coding, orgy) and not have to think about going back to the queue every 3 minutes. This can work well in the presence of several people, not just one, but it depends... you do sometimes get the aggravating 3-1-3-1 war where one person refuses to leave a breathing-space *even though* they know someone else wants to use the queue.

Two non-consec tunes per user sounds fine. I suppose we would need to see it in action.

Something I've said before, but never written on the forums: I would love it if djr could sometimes throw a tune onto the queue (I mean the actual backlog queue, so it would wait in line with everybody else). It should be rare but I think it would give djr an amusing personality, and it wouldn't block anyone else since you can always join the queue yourself regardless of what's in it.
flagMystra

69 Posts
#687 (4 years, 9 months ago)
I really like that djrandom idea, mirrorbird!
flagShinobi
heimorgelspieler

16 Posts
#781 (4 years, 8 months ago)
I kinda would appreciate "Prev Page + Next Page" buttons on favourites (paginated).

flagSome1NamedNate
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ┬─┬ノ( º _ ºノ)

79 Posts
#795 (4 years, 7 months ago)
I agree, Shin.
Pages: 1

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.